Friday, July 8, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (OK Not So Quick)

-1-
Minnesota State Shutdown
I haven't heard any MN bloggers talking about this.
It's a big deal.
It effects a lot of people.
23,000 newly unemployed people, as of Friday, July 1.
Thanks to our Governor.
I prayed for him yesterday in my rosary, and I have to admit, I had a hard time
feeling love towards him.  But, I did it anyway.
He closed down all money making things, like our State Parks and our Lottery. 
These are things that bring lots, like millions of dollars to our state.
He also closed down many things that will really hurt people.
My husband runs a Halfway House for men in recovery.  It's a 90 program to get these guys (who have already gone through treatment) jobs and a plan to live in recovery.
They are all there on state contracts.
So
My husband is working for free now.
He took out a loan from his father for this next pay period, 
and they got a loan for the next 2 
Which gives them about 5 weeks
Then, I don't know what.
I'm asking for prayers.
My husband is really good about this whole thing
(besides being pretty mad at our Governor)
He knows God will take care of us no matter what.
I know that too, I just worry a little more.
Like, will we be living in the halfway house next month?
Personally, I think this Governor of ours wants to be known for shutting down the state.
His career is already shot from this happening, why would he try to compromise?
Yes, we live in a very liberal state.
We had an ex wrestler as a governor.
We now have as our State Senator, a man who wrote a book called 
Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot
Bill O'Reilly has stated he now has no reason to ever come to Minnesota.
This state shutdown effects us.
It effects 23,000 newly unemployed
It effects all the businesses that will not get any business because of road construction left uncompleted.
It effects all our State parks and people who vacation there, not to mention the vandalism that has already happened since last Friday.
It effects all the people who need services who will no longer get them
No more licenses.
I'm sure it effects many more.
Please pray with me for a end to this craziness.

-2-
(finally, huh?)
We made a great father's day tee for daddy!!!
(pictured above)
The kiddos thought up the quote by Darth Vader.


 It was not an easy job to do, but it sure was fun!
Daddy left for fishing in Canada with his dad for almost a week.
(it felt like a month)
 Boy did we miss daddy!!  
I think I missed him the most, but it was pretty close.
He is the patriarch of our family, the head of our family.
I just love and need this man so much.
 When he came home, we celebrated the day by going to the park and just enjoying him home
 He brought me a French Diete Coke
 There's nothing better than fresh Walleye!!!!  MMMMMMmmmmmmmm......with 7 people now, 
His allowed catch to bring home was not enough and we had to go buy fresh Cod....which was also very very good, we might have to splurge sometimes and get some of that.
The Walleye though, divine.  It was sooooooo gooood.
 -3-
Butterfly painting 
I can't give credit to the right craft blog as I lost the paper I'd saved for a month....
darn it.
I found it!!
HERE!
Anyway, you paint Artist canvas like this....
 then water paint paper to punch out butterflies...
 and then stick them on with sticky thingy's
Didn't they turn out beautiful?

 -4-
This is me with one of my many coconut oil treatments for lice.
This is how bad it smells.
At least for this pregnant mama.
We think the lice is gone....but keep doing the treatments every weekend, 
just in case.
We are pretty sure we got it from baseball.
We now have our own baseball helmet.
I am still dealing with lots of nausea
And I have no energy.
I'm hoping to start feeling better in about 6 weeks.

 -5-
Lite strawberry drinks!
(I've made these since I was about 18 --it's a Jamie original recipe)

Frozen Strawberries
Diet 7-up
mix in the blender
(may want to add a sweetener or two)
 -6-
Our mailbox
I love mailboxes.....but you know that don't you?


-7-
I'm done....
We're off to swim and enjoy this beautiful, warm, sunny day!!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

15 comments:

  1. I will keep you in my prayers for the government to start again. I didn't realize you husband was effected so greatly. When the U.S. government shut down, there were many people around here who were effected because just about everyone who works in D.C. works for the government! Thankfully it only lasted a very short time.

    Seriously, what's up with the MN liberals?? You would think the down home people would be more conservative. and don't get me started on all the liberal Catholics in MN! It's like they congregate there.

    Anyway, that butterfly canvas is so cute.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry your husband's job is effected by this shutdown. Every night in the news there seems to be another story about the many losses this is causing. Fishing licensees, tourism, the MHS sites, state parks, etc. So many day-to-day needs as well as destinations mostly used in the summer. Very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your husband's job.
    My father-in-law is a state employee in Minnesota and is out of work. They are anxiously awaiting a decision in the government.
    On a smaller scale, I also missed the rest stops being opened when I recently traveled up there.

    So happy that Baby is doing well. Can't wait to hear more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Politics...ugh...hard not getting emotional about it. Some how there needs to be less spending. Some how people cannot retire at the age of 50 and get so many benefits. I do not want my taxes raised so someone else can have free child care. (i read the paper and there was a huge article about all the daycare providers being affected by this also.)
    I have family members not working at this time also. This totally is Daytons fault. Whatever you read in the liberal papers or on TV is slanted. We do live in a very liberal state.

    Love the french coke....how cool is that!

    Great pic. of your face and icky stinky stuff in the hair. Glad that is done. A long June for you.

    Your mailbox looks great. Mine...boring at the end of the driveway.

    Praying for you and Tom.

    OH and the butterfly art...LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pic of the oil treatment! We all looked like that this morning. You are my inspriration that we CAN win this battle! Thank you for being such a friendly voice during this hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I will be praying for your state and your family, offering up my next Holy Hour too. Love your new patriotic header...kids are adorable in their red, white, and blue! I know what you mean about missing a husband away. I've had a lot of that lately. I find it comforting to pray for single parents while he's gone. Looks like you are having a lovely summer with refreshing treats and fun crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adding you to my daily St. Joseph prayers.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had so much fun reading this post! Sad to hear about Tom's job. I know just how you feel. The uncertainty of when it will end drives me nuts the most. As you've helped us so many times before, let me know if I can do anything for you!

    I loved how the butterfly pictures, painted rocks and tshirt turned out. My girls would beg me to let them make the butterfly canvases if they see your pics. Maybe once our house is back to normal? I think we'll do the rocks this week.

    Everytime I look at my mailbox I think of you! I am still in the process of making it pretty, but it's almost there! I like yours, especially when you have those climbing morning glories.

    I got a real giggle from the Diete Coke! But that fish looks the most delicious! I guess it's a good thing you can cook it and not get sick from the smell.

    Congrats Jamie on making it to 12 weeks. I bet that feels so good. I'm at 8, hoping the nausea will go away around 14. I'll pray you get a break soon! But I like you're thought that sick=growing baby.

    Hope we can talk again soon! Until then, hugs to your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your husband's job situation, Jamie. Your family will be in our prayers... Don't even get me started on Dayton... and there's no end in sight yet, is there? We all knew his proposed 'solution' would be to raise taxes. Craziness.

    The fish looks so amazing - I can almost taste it! yum.

    Loved your butterfly painting... the face you made with that coconut treatment... your strawberry drinks... your mailbox... and your new header picture! So cute!

    Hey, if this takes a while to settle, next month you all can come live with us...
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I'll tell you why I have not blogged about the shut-down. It's too depressing. There are some things I just don't want to talk about.
    We get assistance from the government because my son has autism. This assistance helps pay for special programs and equipment that we use for him. Now we won't get those checks anymore.
    I understand your anger. Prayers that this will all end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about all the government mess & we will be praying for it to turn around and especially for your family's specific needs. Oh, I love the new picture at the top. The kiddos must have had a blast doing that tee. Must be so great wearing love. Take care and remember that "Greater is He that is in is than he that is in the world". Love to you and your family.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prayers for all your intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Remembering your family at Mass today, Jamie. This has been a memorable summer, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all so very much, I'm humbled, so many prayers and Masses too.

    Please know I'm praying for all of you, prayers of thanksgiving!

    and YES Barbara, it is sure a summer to remember!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Jamie, I should have read this one first about your state governor. I will pray for all of the unemployed Minnesotians and your governor. But I will especially pray for your husband and his coworkers that they will get paid for doing the important work that they do!

    I'm still praying that the lice is gone from your household once and for all!

    Love the butterfly art work. What a fun project to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping and commenting!